Thursday, July 7, 2011

Day 5

Today was a big day...embassy day! After spending some time at the hospital for the TB results, we headed to the US Embassy for Nathaniel's visa. We've read lots of stories about other families and their embassy visits. Each on is different. In preparation, I had tons of paperwork that needed to be put together with new notaries in case the embassy needed it.

Upon arriving at the Embassy, I once again was so thankful for our agency liaison. He got us through check point by check point and did the initial discussions with officials. (There was another family there that was adopting with another agency and had no one there to help them. I could not imagine having to navigate India alone.) We had an "interview" from an embassy official and were told to come back later that day.

After lunch, we went back to the Embassy. It was almost as if it had closed up for the day at 3:30 in the afternoon....no lines, no mass groups of people waiting. Our liaison went to the window and was handed the items: passport, certificate and a sealed package only to be opened by immigration when our flight arrives in the US. He handed everything over to me with a "congratulations" and we were done. No paperwork needed.

I don't know why our trip went smoother than most and I certainly won't change how it went. The family we are traveling with has to return today for their documents, but no explanation why it took an extra day. Fortunately, this is why our itinerary builds in an extra day for the "just in case" times.

Nathaniel did much better during the day since he was out and about, but he had challenges when back at the hotel. He does not like to be changed or go to sleep. He has lungs like I've never heard.....good thing I brought a bulk pack of ear plugs for the passengers on the airplane :)

I hope to post more photos later today. We can't wait to come home!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. Will you have time to go back to the Taj Mahal, now that the paper work is done? Did you ever get to find any samosas? This journey... has really been a trip of a life time. I know that you and Mark will treasure it always. Does Nathaniel "play" with the little girl and the family you are traveling with? I am loving the posts... thanks for taking the time to share.

    ReplyDelete