Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What a Process

We knew stepping into the adoption world that this would be a process. A process it is. Frustration is already setting in and we are only beginning. The amount of paperwork is overwhelming. I feel like I have bugged our agency beyond belief with the amount of questions I ask. My "type A" self wants a simple checklist to just do. So, of course I have created one with color coding and all. :)

I joined an online group of other families adopting from India. Many of which are so much farther along than we are. They use acronyms that make me clueless, but I suppose we need to know at one point in this process. The group truly is so helpful and one family has already shared some organization support for the paperwork. The trouble comes in when I read their experiences and second guess how we have approached some things. But, I guess I need to remember processes have changed since their time....international laws seem to change on a daily basis.

In emailing my agency last night, they shared that this time is really a time for me to gather docs and secure a home study agency. In my educator way, I had to make a connection and call this the "independent study" portion. Makes it a bit more concrete for me. (Tiff and Sean, you'll understand when I say there have been limited phases of direct instruction here).

So, I'm working through this low point. I'm sure there are many more to come. But, I see the pictures of families that recently received their children and I can only hope that one day soon that will be Mark and I.

Mark was home today nursing me from some minor surgery. We used his "day off" to go get our fingerprinting done.


I literally try to use every opportunity we have to get another piece done. Before the surgery this morning, I ran over to my primary doctor to drop off her piece of documentation, ran to get blood work for the process and then off the surgery. Yes, I get a thrill from checking things off the list!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the start of your journey. One step at a time, you're getting closer to your child. I saw your post on the IFS Yahoo group. We are also with IFS, and are waiting for guardianship to be granted so we may bring our daughter home. Should you need any questions answered during the "paperchase", I'm sure the group would be willing to answer questions.

    Tisra
    http://www.bdhq.net

    ReplyDelete